Wrongful Death Attorney in Houston, TX
Assisting Families Following The Wrongful Death Of A Loved One
It is devastating to lose a loved one, especially if someone else’s negligence was the cause. At Ivey Law Firm, P.C., we understand the profound effect the sudden and tragic death of a family member can have on survivors. We provide compassionate and knowledgeable legal counsel and representation to families of accident and negligence victims.
What Is A Wrongful Death Claim?
Under Texas law, when a victim dies through the negligence or wrongful act of another party, the surviving spouse, children and parents, or the administrator or executor of the decedent’s estate, may seek compensation in a wrongful death claim. You and your loved one’s other survivors may pursue damages, which include:
- The amount of income your loved one would have earned for the rest of his or her normal life
- The value of the care, support, advice, counsel, and other intangible benefits you would have received from your loved one
- The loss of love, comfort and companionship as a result of the death of your loved one
- Compensation for mental anguish and emotional pain you suffered from losing your loved one
- The monetary value of any inheritance your loved one would have left to you and other family members
- The cost of your loved one’s funeral and burial expenses
As your lawyer, we will also explore the option of pursuing exemplary damages, sometimes referred to as punitive damages if the conduct of the negligent party was willful, reckless or egregious. Exemplary damages serve two purposes: they are intended to punish the wrongdoer as well as to send a message to society that reckless conduct will not be tolerated.
In addition to the wrongful death claim, as a legal heir, you may file an action on behalf of your loved one for damages incurred prior to his or her death. This may include hospital, medical, emergency room and medication expenses, as well as lost income and the pain and suffering endured prior to death. In some instances, the wrongful death and survival claims are joined.
Personal Attention At This Most Difficult Time
At Ivey Law Firm, P.C., you will be treated with respect and compassion. Attorney Jack Todd Ivey or attorney Jacob D. Barber handle every case personally. Wrongful death and personal injury cases are accepted on a contingency fee basis, which means that there are no legal fees unless we successfully settle your case or win in court.